Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I'm Amazed

Okay - so I've got a premature newborn at home and the pediatrician keeps on me about getting everyone in the house to have the flu shot this year so that she's a little bit more protected from infant RDS. They've been on me since she was born in August. So where's the vaccine? Every time I called the peds office and my own doctor's office, I keep getting told it's coming, it's coming. It's been coming for a month. It's worse than "the check's in the mail." And who decides which category of the public take precedence over another - why do they make sure the 65+ older group get the vaccine first? I'm prone to asthma when I get really sick, and have a premature newborn in the house. What's make's an older person's health more important than mine or my child's? (No offense to anyone over 65.) I'm also tired of being told that if the doctor's office runs out they have lots of other clinics they can refer me to. Well, last year, the doc's office kept me hanging so long before they told me that they were out and weren't getting anymore that I missed all the clinics. And besides, why should I have the additional hastle of having to submit the claim to my insurance company, when the insurance would pay for it directly if I received it in the doctor's office? I really do believe in the vaccine. When I used to work for a (gulp) health insurance company we got the shot for free, and I never really got more than a cold during the winter. That was 3 years ago. Now I have to plan way ahead of time and basically harrass the doctor's office, and if I don't get it, I usually end up sick for weeks on end. I'm just amazed that our health care system can't get it together enough year after year!

No comments: